When it comes to household pests, nothing is more disturbing and alarming than fleas,hence the question how to get rid of fleas in the house?.There are many ways/hows we could get rid of fleas in the house but before I go into that you need to understand what fleas are.
Fleas are small insects without wings well known for their bloodsucking habits and jumping abilities. There are different varieties of fleas all around the world and they actually vary in sizes as well. Signs of an infestation may include small swollen red itchy fleas bite on you or fleas bite on Dog,Cats and other pets. These fleas have the ability of jumping from eight to twelve inches and will move from host to host in search of a fresh supply of blood.
Fleas lay many eggs, if you do not get rid of those eggs on time they will multiply faster because their eggs can remain dormant for almost a year. If you do not eliminate these fleas once and for all they will keep coming and giving you sleepless night.
How to get rid of fleas in the house
- It is mandatory to know the root of the infestation in order to prevent re-infestation. Fleas can get into your house through your pets or through carpets, rugs, clothing since humans are capable of hosting and spreading fleas. Fleas are black so it will be easy to spot them when walking through the yard putting on white socks. You need to make sure every area of flea infestation is found and taken care of. Fleas can hide themselves in pet toys and other objects around.
- You need to isolate your pets if they are the source of your infestation. After that wash everything including beddings, towels or any other thing that you think could be hiding larvae or eggs, you can also put these things in the dryer for some minutes as it will kill adults, larvae and the eggs.
- Vacuum the whole place: this should be done especially in areas that do not get exposed to sunlight because fleas love to lay eggs in damp and cool places. You can sprinkle salt or baking soda before vacuuming to help dry out flea eggs. When the vacuum bag is full, seal it in a plastic bag and put in a covered trash bin preferably outside to avoid those fleas from crawling in again.
- Use dehumidifier, switch it on for some days to remove moisture from the air in rooms where fleas are.
- Clean and trim lawns, yard or other outdoor areas your pet goes to, you can also expose cool and damp places to sunlight. Remove organic debris like composting areas or heaps of grass cuttings or leaves. You can also flood your lawn with water as fleas cannot survive in flooded lawn thus, putting an end to their life cycle.
- Give your pet a warm bath using flea treatment shampoo (mixture of dish detergent and salt) , the acid in the shampoo will help kill fleas and suffocate eggs . Make sure you wash the neck first to avoid fleas jumping to the head during the bath.
- You can add two to four drops of lemon mixture to your pets’ collar to keep fleas away.
- Using a flea comb will help get rid of stubborn ones left on the skin. The comb should be used all over the skin.
Most pet owners resort to using toxic substances in eliminating fleas. These substances have been proven to cause serious health consequences. They work well in eliminating fleas but they may just end up causing tremors, liver and brain damage and as well death to pets. It is not advisable to use such chemicals rather there are different natural products and methods that could get rid of fleas in the house, these natural products are cheaper, more reliable and easy to make.
Other methods of getting rid of fleas in the house
- Nematodes: nematodes or roundworms are microscopic worms that feed on flea larvae and other insects, they are absolutely harmless to pets, humans, plants and trees in your yard. You need to spray on areas of infestation perhaps areas with shade because they do not tolerate hot sun.
- Apple cider vinegar: apple cider vinegar is an effective remedy for controlling infestation of fleas. Apple cider vinegar does not kill fleas instead it scares them away with its smell and taste. All you have to do is mix with water in a spray bottle and spray on pets, carpets, pillows and other infested areas.
- Cedar chips: fleas hate the smell of cedar chips, all you need is to spread cedar chips all over your house and yard concentrating on areas of infestation.
- Diatomaceous earth: sharp particles of diatomaceous earth can penetrate into the fleas’ thin outer layer thereby making them to dehydrate and die of inadequate water. This should be spread in the house (carpets, furniture and beddings) or yard whenever the weather is dry ass it is not always effective when wet. Make sure you put on a dust mask, or cover your nose and mouth with a cloth when using this product as inhaling it may irritate the lungs.
- Borax: borax is a desiccant and helps in drying out fleas, its larvae and eggs. Sprinkle borax powder on infested areas and allow to sit for seven hours. Then thoroughly vacuum areas where you used borax as it is not safe for pets and young children. Borax can also be used outside the house.
- Indian lilac: it is also known as neem. Neem helps in getting rid of unwanted pests with its odor. You can either use its leaves or oil.
- Put neem leaves in four cups of water through the night. Grind the leaves in the water after which you sieve, put the solution in a spray bottle then spray on infested areas.
- You can also dilute neem oil with little amount of almond oil or water in a spray bottle. Then spray on infested areas.
- Make a flea trap: in making a flea trap you need to do the following;
- Lit a candle on a plate
- Make a mixture of warm water and dish liquid in a bowl
- Place the plate in the bowl, but make sure the plate is sitting on something like a wood.
Fleas are always attracted to light, as they jump towards the light they will fall and get stuck in the mixture.
- Nylar: when you use nylar or pyriproxfen as your flooring materials, you will have the ability to remove these fleas easily. This nylar prevents flea eggs from hatching and also it eradicates existing fleas.
- Aromatic citrus spray: boil a few pieces of any citrus fruit like orange or lemon for about ten minutes. Fill this liquid in a spray bottle then spray all infested areas. This should be done every three days.
- Essential oils: essential oils like lavender, cedar, lemongrass, rosemary and so on help in repelling fleas. Mix about twenty drops of these essential oils with water in a spray bottle and spray on carpets, curtains, pet beddings and other areas of infestation.
- Peppermint: fleas hate peppermint, mix ten drops of peppermint with 7oz of tap water in a spray bottle and then spray in every corner of the house and other infested areas.
- Horse apples: it is also known as osage orange. Cut and place halves of horse apples in every infested place for two months as they help in eliminating fleas. The green horse apples should be left to dry itself.
- Baking soda: baking soda is a dehydrating agent. It should be sprinkled on the floor, under carpets, rugs and other areas. It helps in drying out fleas completely.
Here are some precautionary tips that will help prevent infestation of fleas in your home;
- Make sure you feed your pets with healthy food because fleas love to prey on weak hosts. Being healthy reduces the risk of getting attacked by fleas.
- Keep your house clean and neat at all times. The cleaner the house the lesser the reproduction of fleas.
- More exposure of sunlight will get rid of fleas from your surroundings.
- Wash pets’ bed and beddings in hot water as they might be the main cause of flea infestation. If they sleep on your bed, wash your beddings as often as you can as well.
- Do not leave personal belongings outside the house as fleas might attach themselves to shoes, clothes and others thereby finding their way back into the house.
- Flea repellants should be sprayed around your house.
- Vacuum your house frequently and pay attention to dark corners, rugs and cracks under furnitures.
Flea populations can return quickly especially when few eggs have been missed during cleaning. It is important that you continue treatment procedures even after there are no ore signs of infestation in your house.